Anchorage Back to School Season is Here!
|Photo: Reading gives flight to imagination by Enokson|
Back to School Schedule for Fall 2015The 2015-6 school year begins Wednesday, August 19th for 2-12th graders and a week later on the 26th for kindergarten and first graders. Here are a few helpful tips and resources we found to share with you. First, here's a link to this years calendar, which you will need to reference throughout the school year.
Enrollment and Registration
Open enrollment is:
- Thursday, July 23, 2015 from 3pm to 7pm at the ASD Education Center located at 5530 E. Northern Lights Blvd. You can reach the ASD by phone at (907) 742-4000
- Saturday, July 25, 2015 from 10am to 2pm at the ASD Education Center located at 5530 E. Northern Lights Blvd. You can reach the ASD by phone at (907) 742-4000
Online registration for returning students
Online school registration starts on July 22nd and ends August 7th. Returning students can be registered at this website: https://parentconnect.asdk12.org/ Users familiar with Zangle just need to log in with the same login as last year and renew their students' registration. Students must be attending the same school as last year or continuing on to the junior high in their same region.
In-Person Registration for returning students
Elementary SchoolsASD's elementary school directory page
|Tuesday, August 4th||9am to 3pm||A-L|
|Wednesday, August 5th||9am to 3pm||M-Z|
|Wednesday, August 5th||5pm to 7pm||A-Z|
|Thursday, August 6th||9am to 3pm||Make-Up|
Junior High SchoolsASD's middle school directory page
Hours: 8 to 11am; 12 to 3 pm; and 4 to 7pm on Wednesdays only.
|Tuesday, August 4th||8th grade|
|Wednesday, August 5th||7th grade|
|Thursday, August 6th||Make-Up 7th and 8th|
|Thursday, August 6th||6th grade at Begich and Clark|
|Photo: Benjamin Chun|
Hours: Last Names A-L are 11am to 3pm M-Z are 8am to 11 am
|Monday, August 3rd||Seniors|
|Tuesday, August 4th||Juniors|
|Wednesday, August 5th||Sophomores|
|Thursday, August 6th||Freshman|
***If you are enrolling to a charter school, please refer to their schedules.
Not sure which school to sign up at?Use the Anchorage School District's School Finder tool.
|The more you read the more you know by Enokson|
What's for lunch this school year?Find interesting lunch ideas for your students on Pinterest (if you're not already hooked on Pinterest as it is!) Here's a pinboard someone started for bento box school lunch ideas
Follow JustOneCookbook®'s board Bento & School Lunch on Pinterest.
Need lunch containers for homemade lunches?If you are like me and don't quite know where to begin on packing your lunches from homemade foods rather than expensive store bought foods, look through these online sources that sell lunch box containers. These are just a few I found on Google. I hope to try making better lunches this year - and not mention saving a lot of money by avoiding pre-made foods. Check out lunchboxes.com, they have old school metal lunch boxes for children and adults. (Remember the old school men's metal lunch box? They have those!) - You can even make your own custom metal lunch boxes!
Virus Season is Back!Along with homework, our kids will be bring home viruses to share. I don't look forward to this part of the year, as last year was pretty bad in Anchorage. It seems like we caught every possible virus there is besides the bubonic plague.
- In hopes of being prepared for next years onslaught of illnesses, don't forget to stock up on items like these while back to school shopping:
- A good working thermometer
- Children's acetaminophen AND/OR ibuprofen (some symptoms respond better one or the other - ask a health care provider which one to take)
- Allergy medicines if your child has allergies
- Inhalers to keep at the school if your child has asthma
- Cough syrups, decongestants, expectorants, etc.(Ask a health care provider which is right for your child)
- Sore throat spray
- Frozen popsicles
- A humidifier
- Hot pads/Ice pads
- Re-hydration mixes and drinks
- Vitamins to help maintain natural immunity
- Favorite DVDs and books for sick days
- Favorite sick foods (i.e. chicken soup, crackers, broths, etc.)
Looking for an Anchorage home by High School?If you are looking to buy a home within a certain school's boundaries, visit our Homes by School post.
Didn't find the school you were looking for?We can also send you homes by middle school or elementary school.
Call Dan today to set up your own custom listing alert - straight from the MLS to you!
© 2015 Dan Benton
Dan Benton - Realtor with Real Estate Brokers of Alaska
1577 C Street, Suite 101A., Anchorage, AK 99501Phone: (907) 727-5279
Join Great Alaskan Homes on:
Blogspot - Pinterest - Twitter - Facebook - Google+